A very simple and delicious recipe. This recipe is considered a vegan recipe. It is one of my families favorites. It’s very cheap and easy to make. No complicated directions involve! Just beans, zest, seasonings, dab of carbs, and pure deliciousness!
I’m not going to sit here and bore you with my loads of information just going to throw in a few words and insert the recipe below! I make this for dinner a bunch, not going to lie it turns out different each time for some reason! But I have finally mastered the consistency of the patties! I make these and add a side! Everything I use is animal product free so it makes it vegan. I did attempt to make it with egg, but I find using oats work better.
This recipe can make up to 6-8 burgers depending on how big or small you make the patties.
Prep time: 20-30 minutes
Cook time: 10-15 minutes
- 3 cups of black beans (about 2 and 1/2 cans of black beans if using canned)
- 1 small onion; finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup of cilantro; finely chopped (I add more than it calls for because yum.)
- 2 teaspoons of quick cooking oats
- 1/4 cup of bread crumbs
- Lime juice from half a lime
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon or coriander (optional I always leave it out because I forgot to buy it)
- Some olive oil or canola oil
- Some pepper and salt
Optional additions: 1/2 of a jalapeno gutted.
-If you are wanting to make the black bean burgers using dry beans, be sure to cook them in the slow cooker for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
-Heat your skillet on medium.
- Put the black beans in a medium to large bowl. Mash them with a masher (or you could just place it and all the ingredients in a food processer; which ever you prefer)
- After mashing the black beans, mix in the finely chopped onion, minced garlic, finely chopped cilantro into the black beans and mix.
- Next add the quick cooking oats, bread crumbs and seasonings to the mixture
- Then, add the lime juice and mix together well.
- In the heated skillet, pour some oil on there, while letting it heat up form you black bean mixture into patties and place them on the oil to give it a crisp top in the burger.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes on each side.